This year I have the great privilege to be one of the judges on The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Award for Automotive Innovation 2011. Defining ‘Innovation’ well enough to be able to judge the relative merits of the entries is not a simple task, so the short-listed entries will present to a ‘Dragon’s Den’-style panel of industry leaders. The winner will be announced at SMMT’s Annual Dinner on 22 November at the London Hilton, Park Lane.
The six short-listed entries showcase the cutting-edge R&D work currently taking place in the UK automotive industry. An industry that is developing at a phenomenal rate whilst battling an extraordinarily difficult world economy. It’s an industry that has suffered very hard times in the past yet seems to have come out of it stronger and fitter than ever.
Innovation is a key ingredient of this recovery and is essential for the industry’s long term survival on the world stage. Please take a moment to look at the SMMT page on the awards at:
Please also take a few moments to look at these excellent projects and let me know which one you would choose, and of course why:
- Ashwoods Automotive – The Hybrid Drive System
- ABB Product Group EV Charging Infrastructure – The Terra 100.2 dual post plus base station
- Flybrid Systems LLP – The CFT KERS
- Intelligent Energy – The Suzuki Burgman Fuel Cell Scooter
- Jaguar Land Rover – The Range_e
- WABCO Holdings – The WABCO TailGUARD